09 December, 2008

Sadly true

For my 300th post, I think it's time for something momentous in Internet terms. Like whether the Zune or Ipod is better. This matters, simply because the president-elect of the USA, Barack Obama may or may not have one or the other.

Google 'zunegate' if you don't believe me.

Honestly, I think it shows the level of interest that can be found in any niche area, like the 501st Legion, any online game, and the frenzy that awaits big computer game releases. It's much easier to find a similar fan of the Blood Ravens Space Marine Chapter in the 40k Universe online, and then you set up a feedback loop and suddenly before you know it you've ordered a full suit of armor from Ebay and are video calling each other just to show off how cool you look. 

I've yet to decide if that's a good or bad thing, this ability to connect 'weirdos', thereby keeping them isolated from what is still considered 'normal' society. I'm certainly not able to tell, as I don't know enough. I just find it interesting.

For the record, the zune has a subscription based model which (naturally) is only available in the US of A. Which I can get over here with a Nokia comes with music phone. Not available (anywhere I know of) with the iPod. Of course, all 3 are just music players and your savvy computer user is going to easily be able to upload and download songs from all 3. But for your average user, who doesn't know the difference between mp3 and mp4, it's not quite as simple. Why are these things so confusing? I'd love it to never have to buy another mobile charger. Another 4 useless cords will come along when I buy another monitor. Back in my day, you could buy all manner of cords from Dick Smith, and I believe the way forward is to go back. K Rudd, imagine the green credentials you could get by banning the bundling of cords with all new electrical goods. The companies would complain, but when they charge the same price for the goods without the cords as they did when it had the cord, is their bottom line really going to suffer?

Alright, that's enough of a rant for the 300th post. In far more important news, I fly out in about...oooh, 6 hours for Brisbane, via Abu Dhabi. Everything is packed, I have my atm cards and everything. Bonza!!!

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

Have you seriously ordered the TK kit???? There will be serious Skypage if you have... mines almost finished, so you can try it on if you like!!!